Changing the Game: The GLSEN Sports Project
The Hudson Valley Horrors are proud to announce that we are the first women’s flat track roller derby league to be on board with the GLSEN Sports Project Team Respect Challenge!
We are a league of diversity much like all Roller Derby leagues. We accept and embrace all people to our sport willingly. Now we have the opportunity to be an example in our community and set a new standard for other leagues to follow.
Changing the Game: The GLSEN Sports Project is an education and advocacy initiative focused on addressing LGBT issues in K-12 school-based athletic and physical education programs. The Sport Project’s mission is to assist K-12 schools in creating and maintaining an athletic and physical education climate that is based on the core principles of respect, safety and equal access for all students, teachers and coaches regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression and integrating these efforts into overall school plans to ensure a safe, respectful school climate and culture.
Our entire league (and soon our Junior league, The Frightmares) have signed on to be Team mates for respect. We are proud to stand alongside organizations like the NBA, WNBA and the National Association for Girls and Women in Sport (NAGWS) in support of the GLSEN Sports Project’s cause.
What Does It Mean To Take The Team Respect Challenge?
• Making a strong public team commitment to live the values of respect and inclusion for all team members, across differences such as race, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or religion.
• Taking the Team Respect Challenge requires leadership and commitment from everyone on the team.
• Believing that Team Respect is a winning strategy: When all team members are respected, they perform to their highest potential.
• Treating all teammates with respect.
• Avoiding language that puts someone down because of differences such as race, sexual orientation,gender identity/expression or religion.
• Reminding teammates that name-calling and bullying are “not OK on our team.”
• Setting an example of Team Respect for opposing teams, fans and others in your community.
The Hudson Valley Horrors Roller Derby League is the first non-urban flat track women’s roller derby league in the world and is part of the grass-roots derby revival. We are owned by the skaters and are for the skaters!
We are proud member of the Women’s Flat track Derby Association since 2011.Read More